Sunday, May 23, 2010

Welcome to my Blog!!

Hi!! Welcome to my blog!! As you can see i'm a newbie here, and this is my first attempt at blogging so please bear with me :) With this blog I aim to share my love for cooking and baking. I always say that you can leave me in the kitchen all day and I will be just fine. I am married, and a stay-at-home mom of 3 kids (HS, Middle School and Elementary) so I have a lot of free time on my hands on schooldays when hubby is at work and the kids are in school. I love to cook and bake (which I do on a daily basis) and I also cook for friends who orders from me when they have parties at home or when they want to bring food somewhere else.

I also have a page on FaceBook (Pinay Cooking Lessons) and my aim for making that is to teach my friends how to cook. At first, I was only posting photos of the food I cook and bake at home. My friends started asking me for the recipes and procedures on how I make them, so I started to make instructional videos because it is easier to show them how to do it, than describing everything through typing. A lot of other people had started viewing the page, and now there are 133 people who likes it. (I hope you check it out too if you have a facebook account)

Everything that I know about cooking, I learned from my Nanay. She is a pretty good cook, and watching her cook (apart from eating what she cooked) was one of my favorite things to do when I was growing up. She used to take me to the market on Saturdays or Sundays and though I hated to walk in the market's wet section (where fish is usually sold) I quite enjoy doing this with her. Until I was in my teens, she was the chief cook in our house though I bake cakes and brownies using ready mixes once in a while. It was my Tatay though, who pushed me to start learning how to cook. I remember him asking me to make omelette with onions. I didn't know how to make it so I just mixed the raw onions with the beaten egg and the resulting omelette was... let's just say... not too good. My father raved about it though, and told me that it was the best tasting omelette he has ever had. I was so proud of myself!!! LOL....

When I got married I started cooking for my family and realized that I actually learned a lot from watching my mom. There was a time when both my hubby and I had no job so we decided to put up a small store in front of our house and we started selling halo halo and fried snacks like fishballs, squidballs and tokneneng. I remember selling the halo halo for 10 Pesos per glass, and during summer time, we were selling up to 1,800 Pesos worth of halo halo per day which is a lot!!! We made our own ingredients, from the minatamis na saging, camote, beans, even our ube and leche flan. People from far away come to our tiny store just to buy our halo halo. Intermitently I also sell meriendas like pancit, sopas, spaghetti, pizza pie, siomai. Sometimes I put a sign outside our gate saying "kare-kare or laing available" and our neighbors would come and buy too.

I plan to post photos and videos of the food that I cook, so that others who are willing to listen may learn (even just a little bit), and share it with their family and friends. So here goes....

3 comments:

  1. nice blog keep it up..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. galing naman ng nanay ni kikay....sosyal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. paano nyo po niluto yung cassava cup cake, parang maganda pong ipangregalo.

    ReplyDelete